Prolog
My name is Eleanor Cassidy Kongphouthakeuthirathoundaroumy.
Eleanor is after my Grandma Eleanor. She invented the rubber band. I am not really sure if that’s true or not, but she insists it is. She says she kept a journal filled with all of her great ideas. One day her house got robbed and somebody stole her idea. They got rich and famous. Grandma Eleanor was left with nothing. I don’t have anything against the poor woman, but I chose not to go by her name. It’s pretty, sure, but not for a fourteen-year-old girl in the twenty first century. I go by Nellie. Sometimes Nellie Bean. Haha, get it, Jelly Bean.. Nellie Bean.. yeah.
I think my parents decided on Cassidy when they were really hungry. You see, my parents grew up in the seventies when cassaroles where really big. My theory is that they ponder names all day and it was getting late. They decided to make a casserole for comfort food. While they were taking it out of the oven one of them said, “Yum, Casserole! Casserole. Hmmm. Cassidy!”
And as for my last name.. Well, my great grandparents on my dad’s side were 100 percent Lao. Although I am all American, the name got passed down to me. I still to this day have no idea how to pronounce it, or even spell it. When I have to write my name in school, I just abbreviate it as Kong.
My parents got better at naming by the time my little brother and sister came around. My eleven year old sister is Madison Elizabeth Larson. Totally normal, right? She got Mom’s maiden name which is so not fair. My nine-year-old brother is Shane Matthew Larson. I don’t really like his middle name much, but Shane Larson is pretty normal My whole family is normal. Except for me..

I really like this prologue :) i like to put intro's in all of my stories for like "need-to-know" information that may not be mentioned later in the book :) but i really like it! u seem to write like i do... take yourself and base a story around it but changing things to make it unique :D
ReplyDelete